2016 Rural Retailers Competition
It’s that time again.
The voting for Rural Retail 2016 competition opens on Monday 11th July at 11am. Two categories are open for public vote this year:
Most Valued Post Office – voting form.
Best Community Owned and Run Village Shop – voting form.
If you have any questions please contact Sharon on 07551 725383 or Rebecca on 01303 813790 alternatively email email@example.com
Village Shops and Post Offices
Action with Communities in Rural Kent recognises the important role village shops and Post Offices play in maintaining vibrant communities in rural Kent, not only in terms of villagers being able to purchase supplies and access banking and postal services without having to travel outside the village, but also the shop and post office being important social hubs in a village – a place to share information and meet with friends and neighbours.
Kent Rural Retailers (KRR) has been in existence for many years now and has done a lot to raise the profile for independent rural retailers in the County. It provides a wide range of services to help develop and sustain rural retailing while working closely with partners to bring innovations to the rural scene. There is no charge for these services, whether it be to a commercial or community operation.A great deal of the funding required to run KRR comes from Kent County Council.
KRR service can assist:
- Village shops owned by independent shopkeepers
- Community owned village shops
- Villagers that no longer have a shop and want to set up a community owned shop.
- With setting up Business associations/retailer groups.
- Communities wishing to explore alternative ways of providing and accessing mail collection and other post office services such as an out reach service.
- Attending public and Parish council meetings to update on potential changes which could affect their shop or Post Office.
- Regular visits to rural shops and post offices to offer 1-1 advice
- Retail and business advice and information
- Mentoring of community groups setting up a community shop
- Raising the profile of independent retailers in the County
KRR offers advice on:
- Shop layout
- Business plans (Download a Business Plan template here)
- Marketplace opportunities
- Local foods
- Category Management
- Employment issues
- Profit margin control